Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kemper Countdown


















Kemper Arena may soon collapse for good. I'll always remember it as the one-time home of the Kings. Before the NBA became popular, my dad regularly scored courtside seats. Seeing players like George Gervin and Darryl Dawkins up close had a huge impact on my world view. It wasn't much of a music venue, but I saw dozens of concerts at the old barn. Here are my ten favorite music experiences at Kemper Arena:
1. Marvin Gaye- I saw more women's underwear on the night of June 26, 1983, than I've seen in the subsequent 28 years.
2. The Who- Alas, after the death of Keith Moon.
3. Bruce Springsteen- I first saw him at Kemper in 1981, but I preferred the 2002 tour in support of The Rising.
4. Prince- What a freak!
5. Tool- The first time is always the best.
6. Christina Aguilera- The girl put on a show.
7. T.I.- I love being in the midst of thousands of people who are losing their collective sh*t.
8. Bob Seger- It seems improbable now, but he was once a superstar.
9. Dixie Chicks- They threw it all away.
10. Bob Dylan- He was monumentally awful.

---
I don't care what you think- I like Coldplay. Even so, the video for "Paradise" isn't nearly as good as the opening theme of the The Banana Splits.

---
While I'm still on the fence about Terri Lyne Carrington's new album, this video of a live performance is excellent.

---
I'll spend much of next week studying Danny Brown's new project.

---
"Hornets! Hornets!" Please sing along for me tonight at The Midland.

---
Kansas City Click: Here are my official picks.

(Original image of 8th row ticket (!) by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: