Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: Priory


















Priory performing "Kings of Troy" live, YouTube video stream

I laughed as I surveyed NPR's new "Best of the Year (so far)" list today. It's not that I'm dismissive of the selections. I respect The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Death Cab For Cutie and My Morning Jacket, six of the top ten picks. It's the predictability of the consensus voting that irks me. The problem is that developing and low-profile acts like Priory are inevitably overlooked. Like their better-publicized peers, the members of the Portland-based band are masters of melody and impeccable purveyors of discrete indie rock. The new self-titled album is very fine. Priory's primary flaw is that it exists in an overly crowded field- one that's already dominated by the aforementioned acts. Priory performs Sunday, June 26, at The Granada in Lawrence, and Monday, June 27, at the Riot Room in Kansas City.

---
Mike Waterson of The Watersons has died.

---
James "Pappy" Garrett of the area band Cadillac Flambe, was killed in a car accident last Sunday morning.

---
How dare I call the members of Motley Crue and Poison cartoonish! Here's my review of Tuesday's concert.

---
The devil is real. (Lord help me- I love these evil kids.)

---
The end is nigh, part two. (Love her, too!)

---
Kansas City Click: Norman Brown plays at Jazz In the Woods on Friday.

Del tha Funky Homosapien appears at the Riot Room on Saturday.

Crosstown Station hosts a tribute to Howard Iceberg on Sunday.

Priory plays the Riot Room on Monday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bigsteveno said...

Thanks for revuing the Crue. The comment thread was hilarious.