Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Mystic Number National Bank
























Mystic Number National Bank- "St. James Infirmary" stream at YouTube

There are countless albums dating from the late '60s and early '70s by forgotten boogie bands. This is just another act with an embarrassingly overt debt to Cream. But because it's new to me, and because the band was from Kansas City, Mystic Number National Bank is among my current obsessions. I almost didn't give the self-titled album a try when I noticed that the opening track is titled "Blues Jam" and the closing song is titled "Blues So Bad." Thankfully, it's not all about Eric Clapton. The influences of the Mothers of Invention, Blood, Sweat & Tears and (unexpectedly) Neil Diamond provide balance. Kansas City's always been a boogie-happy town, but this album reminds me that the form doesn't have to be boring.

---
Here's a nice video synopsis of last week's amazing MidCoast Cares benefit for Joplin at Crosstown Station.

---
Chris Mills' notes on his experience at Wakarusa are illuminating.

---
All 6's and 7's, Tech N9ne's new album, is very good. Here's my review.

---
I reviewed a Kenny Rogers concert last night.

---
I reviewed Tuesday's performance by Toots and the Maytals a few days ago.

---
I don't know which I like more- Grieves or Rhymesayers' packaging EPKs.

---
Whoop whoop! The new Gathering of the Juggalos promo video is brilliant. The really good stuff starts around the 7:30 mark.

---
Kansas City Click: Deborah Brown is backed by a European band Saturday at the Blue Room and Sunday at the Gem Theater.

The People's Liberation Big Band return to the Record Bar on Sunday.

Ivan and Alyosha play the Record Bar on Monday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bigsteveno said...

That juggalos video makes me feel like a brother from another planet.

Happy In Bag said...

I'm down with the Clown. Seriously- I get it.