Friday, May 27, 2011

Kansas City Wine



















I'd been waiting for the moment for years. I've loved hanging out in the Jazz District for as long as I've been able to drive. In past decade, however, the area's live music offerings have been long on quality and short on quantity. I've typically attended a single event at a time in the 18th & Vine area.

Last night, however, I finally succeeded in experiencing a couple hours of musically rewarding club-hopping on weeknight that wasn't boosted by a festival or a major event. It sounds minor, but I was absolutely euphoric.

I began at the Blue Room, where about 30 people were taking in Makuza. Many in the small but sexy crowd danced. Everyone laughed when the malaprop-prone bandleader referenced "an internal joke." The sound of a blues trio led by Millage Gilbert pulled me in to Danny's Big Easy across the street. An even rowdier crowd was drinking and dancing to covers of familiar hits by Albert King, B.B. King and Slim Harpo.

"You take the drink," a sketchy guy told his wobbly dance partner as "Since I Met You Baby" concluded, "I take the purse."

He wasn't kidding. I decided to head to the Blues & Jazz Juke House before the obligation to thwart theft (or worse) spoiled my fun. The third club was more crowded still. So fun! Join me next time, won't you?

---
This think piece by Billboard's editorial director is fascinating.

---
Listen to snippets of the new live album by Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian here.

---
Mike Stover's notes on the destruction in Joplin are very moving.

---
Kansas City Click: The latest installment of Mark Lowrey vs. Hip Hop takes place Friday at Crosstown Station. It all began here. (I'm one of the Kansas City Skinny guys standing around in the parking lot.)

Janelle Monae and Bruno Mars appear Saturday at Independence Events Center.

Adler's Appetite hits the VooDoo Lounge on Sunday.

Cowboy Mouth play Crossroads KC on Monday.

(Original image of Danny's Big Easy by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: