Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Review: Los Lobos' Tin Can Trust


















Video of Los Lobos performing "Cinnamon Girl" (just because I like it)

Los Lobos was once my favorite band. These days Los Lobos is just my favorite jam band. During Los Lobos' amazing run from 1982 to 1992, they could do no wrong. And even now they couldn't make a bad album if they tried. Unfortunately, parts of Tin Can Trust sound as if they actually toyed with that notion. Their live rendition of the Grateful Dead's "Bertha" used to be so fun partly because it served as a brief respite from their own superior songs. The Dead's "West L.A. Fadeaway" is actually one of the better tracks on Tin Can Trust. But who am I kidding? Even if they're not what they used to be, I'll always love these guys. And I'm sure I'll still be playing Tin Can Trust twenty years hence.

---
I reviewed the debut album by Alaturka at Plastic Sax.

---
I still don't know if the person who died at Monday's Warped Tour in Bonner Springs, Kansas, was one of the people I saw pass out in the extreme heat. Here's my review of the music.

---
Here's ECM's audio player for the new album by bandoneonist Dino Saluzzi. Magnificent!

---
Mitch Jayne of Missouri bluegrass legends The Dillards has died. He was 80.

---
Mitch Miller died July 31. Ahem...

---
Kansas City Click: The New Vintage Big Band performs Wednesday at B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ.

Mouth is one of many bands performing at The Pitch's showcase Thursday in Westport.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: