Sunday, October 27, 2019

Album Review: Kanye West- Jesus Is King

My Uber driver involuntarily swerved when I told him Kanye West was my favorite artist as we sped down Mopac Expressway in Austin last week.  I was blathering about my high hopes for the imminent release of Jesus Is King.
As a day-one West fan and avowed Christian, the prospect of a committed gospel album made me giddy.

My faith is gone.  Jesus Is King is a disaster.  Religion has always played an integral role in West’s art, but the tension between God and Satan is supplanted by imperious moral superiority and self-centered pettiness on Jesus Is King.  To top it off, the production is uninspired.  Only “Use This Gospel” and “God Is” contain glimmers of West’s genius.  I would have vastly preferred a live recording of one of his occasionally inspiring Sunday Services. 

As a zealous West fan since the release of “Through the Wire” in 2003, I’ve tolerated mountains of nonsense.  I draw the line at mediocre music.  West’s peace of mind is obviously more important than my selfish needs as a fan, but at least I’ll no longer run the risk of horrifying strangers with an extremely controversial take on music.  West’s three-year artistic rut- and all the baggage that comes along with it- makes him the man who used to be my favorite artist.


---
I make weekly concert recommendations for The Kansas City Star.

---
I reviewed a concert by Stefon Harris and Blackout at Plastic Sax.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

David Root said...

HP Printer Support Number USA will repair all HP Printer issue online like installation, drivers, wifi connection problems, network errors, paper jam, not printing etc.
Visit Here: HP Printer Support Number USA

John Smith said...

Contact icloud email customer support number usa +1-805-4382911. Apple teams will fix icloud mail login, sign in, forget password recovery, iphone, android etc.

Apple iCloud Email Support Help Number USA

iCloud Email Customer Service Number

Icloud Email Lgoin issue Fix

iCloud Email Forget Password issue resolve


Icloud Email Technical Support Number

Ammy Jackson said...

Call SBCglobal.net Email Customer Service Number +1-805-4382911 for fix apple sbcglobal email issue like login, sign in, register, forget password, reset, recovery password, server setting etc.

SBCglobal Email Customer Service Number

SBCglobal.net Forget Password Recovery


SBCglobal Email Not Working Fix issue

SBCglobal.net Email Server Setting


Fix SBCglobal Email Login issue


SBCglobal.net Email Support Number