Thursday, April 11, 2019

Album Review: Brooks & Dunn- Reboot


A drunk homophobe wanted to fight me because I wore a pink shirt to an Alan Jackson and Brooks & Dunn concert at Verizon Amphitheater in 2007.  I dressed less conspicuously when Brooks & Dunn headlined at the Sprint Center on its 2010 farewell tour.   Honestly, I haven’t given the duo much thought since then.  That’s why I’m astounded by my reaction to the 12 remakes featuring contemporary country stars on Reboot.  Absence definitely made my ears grow fonder.  Although I harbored only a mild affection for the songs when they were originally released, I shout along with Luke Combs on ”Brand New Man” and get weepy as Ashley McBride sings “You’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Gone”.  The comeback album is so good that even the interpretation of “Boot Scootin’ Boogie” featuring Midland resembles an unexpected visit from a long-lost friend who doesn't care what I wear.


---
I contribute weekly concert previews to The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I always liked Earl Thomas Conley more than Brooks & Dunn.  Conley died yesterday.  Here’s “Holding Her and Loving You”.

---
I’m still salty about the Dutchman’s listless performance at the Big Ears Festival last month, but the stirring convergence of new age, ambient and classical music on Henosis is precisely what I want from Joep Beving.  Here’s “Unus Mundus”.

---
Anitta’s Kisses contains several stupendous bangers and concludes with a lovely duet with Caetano Veloso.  Aside from Snoop Dogg’s vibe-killing appearance, Kisses is delightful.  RIYL: baila funk, Ariana Grande, sunshine.  Here’s “Banana”.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me but "Boot Scootin' Boogie" is the biggest turd in a punch bowl ever released. Pee-yew Mr. Snoid!