Sunday, March 03, 2019

Album Review: Solange- When I Get Home


How I detested A Seat at the Table!   I didn’t hear what others claimed to like about Solange’s 2016 breakout album.  While I’ve admired Solange for more than a decade, I’m hardly a Stan of Beyoncé’s sister.  That’s why I’m enormously pleased to report that Solange has realized her potential with When I Get Home.  The new album equals or betters efforts by like-minded neo-soul and progressive jazz artists including the Internet, Flying Lotus, Robert Glasper and SZA.   While it doesn’t contain any so-called “bops” (ugh), When I Get Home represents everything I love about the current musical moment even as it recalls the seminal work of Stevie Wonder and Erykah Badu.  And no, I haven’t watched the accompanying album-length video.


---
I reviewed the first of Eric Church’s two concerts at the Sprint Center for The Kansas City Star.

---
I reviewed Norman Brown’s The Highest Act of Love at Plastic Sax.

---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
Bluegrass giant Mac Wiseman has died.

---
Jazz guitarist Ed Bickert has died.

---
Mark Hollis of Talk Talk has died.

---
Drummer Andy Anderson has died.

---
André Previn has died.  What a life!  I’ve long employed his solo piano improvisations as sublime background music.

---
The jazz critic and producer Ira Gitler has died.

---
Zara McFarlane’s four interpretations of Augustus Pablo’s “East of the River Nile” are positioned at the precise center of my musical wheelhouse. 

---
Offset’s Father of 4 is so weak that I’m embarrassed for the rapper and for myself for intently listening to all 58 minutes of it.  Here’s “Quarter Milli”.

---
Guitarist Julian Lage, bassist Jorge Roeder and drummer Dave King are in thrall of Ornette Coleman on the thorny Love Hurts.  I love it, of course.  Here’s “Tomorrow Is the Question”.

---
While attending the rock festival isn’t at the top of my bucket list, I’m consistently impressed by the scale of Rocklahoma.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: