Sunday, January 13, 2019

Joseph Jarman, 1937-2019


I’ve coveted the 21-CD box set collecting the works of the Art Ensemble of Chicago and affiliated ECM Records projects since its release six weeks ago.  I own physical copies of just a handful of the titles, but catching the group twice in the early 1980s transformed me from a curious listener to a fully committed jazz enthusiast.  The inability or unwillingness of subsequent jazz-oriented acts to attempt similar sorts of outlandish showmanship and surprising improvisations is an ongoing letdown.  The late Lester Bowie commanded most of the attention, but Joseph Jarman was one of the group’s most vital members.  The saxophonist died last week.


---
I created an audio profile of the Kansas City producer and engineer Justin Wilson for KCUR.

---
I reviewed a performance by Ben Tervort, Matt Otto and Brian Steever at Plastic Sax.

---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
Trombonist Urbie Green died on New Year’s Eve.

---
I adore Liz Brasher.  It’s a drag to report that her debut album Painted Image consists of warmed-over soul.  RIYL: (forgettable) Shelby Lynne, disappointment, (generic) James Hunter.

---
Chris Potter, James Francies, Eric Harland and Linley Marthe?  Oh man.  Circuits will be released on February 22.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: