Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sounding Off


Friends and associates are chagrined by my indifference to sonic fidelity.  I defend my lackluster stereo equipment by noting that a disproportionate percentage of my favorite recordings consist of hiss-imbued R&B, wobbly dub, murky jazz, scratchy honky tonk, ruffian rockabilly, disheveled punk and extemporaneous Soundcloud rap.  I don’t need a fancy system to properly appreciate that stuff.

Two new releases challenge my skinflint inclinations.

My modest speakers don’t protest when I inflict Pusha T on my neighbors, but they can’t handle Mirage? Concertos for Percussion, the dynamic collaboration of percussionist Evelyn Glennie, the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra and conductor Anne Manson.  Glennie’s marimba and vibraphone barrage compel the speakers to beg for mercy.

I’ve repeatedly returned to Dirty Projectors’ Lamp Lit Prose simply because it’s a mind-blowing headphone album.  I’m less interested in David Longstreth’s pastoral version of Art of Noise-style prog-pop than in his hallucinatory studio trickery. 

Perhaps it’s time to upgrade.


---
Drake and Migos raised the bar at the Sprint Center last Sunday.  I reviewed the concert for The Kansas City Star(Instagram clip)

---
I reviewed Keith Urban’s bonkers appearance at the Sprint Center on Friday for The Kansas City Star(Instagram clip)

---
Aretha Franklin received no respect from Sam Smith at the Sprint Center on Saturday.  I reviewed the concert for The Kansas City Star(Instagram clip)

---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
I previewed this month’s Charlie Parker Celebration at Plastic Sax.

---
I reviewed Nate Nall's debut album Places to Go at Plastic Sax.

---
Jazz vocalist Morgana King has died.

---
Jill Janus of Huntress has died.

---
I own physical copies of a few of Terence Blanchard’s film scores.  I’ve listened to each of them once.  While I enjoy his score for Blackkklansman, I doubt I’ll return to it.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: