Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Della Reese, 1931-2017


I marveled at the tart voices of Patti LaBelle and Fantasia on consecutive evenings in March.  Unconventional stylists with piercing voices who value expressiveness more than pretty notes, LaBelle and Fantasia work in the tradition of offbeat R&B shouters like Della Reese and Dinah Washington.  Here’s Reese’s show-stopping reading of “Lonelyville” in the 1958 flick Let’s Rock.  Reese died on November 19.


---
I reviewed St. Vincent’s concert at the Uptown Theater.

---
I reviewed the Kansas City debut of Flying Lotus for Plastic Sax.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
I featured TJ Hooker-Taylor in my weekly KCUR segment.

---
I hope you enjoy using the Kansas City Jazz Calendar.

---
Malcolm Young has died.  I’m so glad that I was able to see him with AC/DC one last time in 2009.

---
The country star Mel Tillis has died.

---
Jazz drummer Ben Riley has died.

---
The former teen idol David Cassidy has died.

---
The music industry titan George Avakian has died.

---
Banda Magda’s upcoming dates with Snarky Puppy should help the international fusion band secure a much larger audience in North America.  Tigre is RIYL Dengue Fever, futuristic cocktail lounge music, Pink Martini.  Here’s “Le Tigre Malin”.

---
Maciej Obara Quartet’s Unloved is RIYL: Euro jazz, Tomasz Stanko, contemplating loss.

---
Lettuce’s Witches Stew, a faithful recreation of tracks from Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way, is as pointless as it is impressive.

---
Talk about Russian meddling- I’ve become obsessed with the Tarkovsky Quartet’s Nuit Blanche.  The latest release by the chamber quartet named for the Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky is RIYL despair, Jóhann Jóhannsson, contemplating death.

---
Sometimes, you really can judge an album by its cover.  Star vocalist Cecilia Bartoli and cellist Sol Gabetta collaborate on festive baroque music on Dolce Duello.  (I don't like it.)

---
Sharon Jones’ swan song Soul of a Woman is wonderful.

---
I was certain that I would embrace Anouar Brahem’s Blue Maqams.  After all, the imaginative oud player is supported by pianist Django Bates, bassist Dave Holland and drummer Jack DeJohnette.  Alas, I’m nonplussed.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: