Monday, August 22, 2016

Bobby Hutcherson, 1941-2016


As the first album I heard that made me realize that jazz could be just as confrontational as rock or R&B, Out To Lunch changed my life.  Bobby Hutcherson’s entry at the five-second mark of the opening track ”Hat and Beard” on Eric Dolphy’s famous 1964 album is one of my favorite moments in jazz.  Following the news of Hutcherson’s death last week, I investigated a few albums I’d never heard.  ”Rain Every Thursday” from the vibist’s misunderstood 1972 funk album Natural Illusions is my new favorite jam.


---
While I hadn’t looked forward to covering the show, I adored Josh Groban’s appearance at Starlight Theater last week.  Here’s my review.

---
I’ve attended six, seven or eight Snoop Dogg concerts.  Last week’s show in Bonner Springs with Wiz Khalifa, Kevin Gates, Jhené Aiko and Casey Veggies was one of the best.  Here’s my review.

---
Friends don’t believe me when I tell them that being in the midst of thousands of giddy teens energizes me.  I relished Saturday’s concert by 5 Seconds of Summer, Hey Violet and Roy English.  Here’s my review.  I documented 15 representative seconds of screaming at Instagram.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I discussed Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear on KCUR last week.

---
I wrote an extended preview Beach House’s concert at the Uptown Theater.

---
I reviewed a release by the Brandon Draper Quintet at Plastic Sax.

---
Toots Thielemans has died.  The Brasil Project was one of my favorite albums of 1992.

---
Ruby Wilson has died.

---
Various Blonde created a video for ”All Bases Covered”.

---
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.  Steve Aoki’s remix of Soundgarden’s “Spoonman” pleases me.

---
Dolly Parton gets freaky on the delightfully odd Pure and Simple.  Here’s “Can’t Be That Wrong”.

---
Do not- I repeat, do not- click on this link.

---
Deborah Joy Winans’ ”The River” is a wondrously sensual gospel song.

---
Lars Danielsson’s Sun Blowing is a thrilling Scandanavian jazz outing.

---
I have yet to listen to Frank Ocean's long-awaited new release.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: