Monday, July 04, 2016

Album Review: Kandace Springs- Soul Eyes


I recently selected Kandace SpringsSoul Eyes as background music in an attempt to establish a romantic mood on a date with my life partner.  I’d hoped for smooches.  Instead,  I was mocked for my taste in music.  My Anita Baker-loving spouse found Soul Eyes syrupy and overly sentimental.  Her analysis may be valid, but I just can’t help myself.  Springs’ languid album is in the sophisticated supper club tradition of Nancy Wilson and Donny Hathaway.  I’m entranced.  Here’s Springs’ interpretation of Shelby Lynne’s ”Thought It Would Be Easier”.


---
I still don’t understand why my forthright review of the Dave Matthews Band’s concert in Bonner Springs is controversial.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I admired Brewer & Shipley on KCUR’s Up To Date program last week.

---
I wrote an extended preview about Brand New for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I reported on Bobby Watson’s participation in the Black Archives’ Community Stories series at Plastic Sax.

---
Sir Mack Rice has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
As the regional sales rep for Scotty Moore’s 1997 album All the King’s Men, I enjoyed backstage access for a related SXSW showcase at the Austin Music Hall that included guest appearances by Dwight Twilley, David Hidalgo, Cesar Rojas, Joe Ely, Tracy Nelson, and Rocky and Billy Burnette.  Moore died last week.

---
Rob Wasserman has died.  The bassist last performed in Kansas City in 2014 with Bob Weir’s Ratdog.  His 1989 appearance at Memorial Hall as a member of Lou Reed’s band was probably the first time I saw him perform.

---
Maxwell’s BLACKsummers’night was my favorite album of 2009.  I’m not sure that blackSUMMERS’night is worth the seven-year wait.  The new release is merely very good.  RIYL: Marvin Gaye, soul giants, Prince.  Here’s ”Gods”.

---
Spoek Mathambo’s hypnotic Badimo EP is RIYL: Sister Sledge, the almighty beat, FaltyDL.  (Tip via Big Steve NO.)

---
Marquis Hill bested Kansas City’s Hermon Mehari in the the 2014 Thelonious Trumpet Competition.  The eclectic The Way We Play indicates that Hill a formidable talent.

---
Manu Katché's excellent Unstatic is RIYL: Paul Motian, genuinely smooth jazz, Jack DeJohnette.

---
I get inordinately excited every time the words “jazz” and “punk” are commingled.  I’m invariably disappointed.  I don’t care for Melt Yourself Down’s Last Evenings On Earth.

---
The first set of Allison Miller’s Boom Tic Boom at the Blue Room last week was one of the most exciting things I’ve heard in 2016.  I posted a clip to Instagram.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: