Monday, March 28, 2016

Album Review: Into It Over It- Standards


A few years after our graduation, a former classmate spotted copies of our high school yearbooks on a bookshelf in my apartment.  He spent the next hour pouring over the volumes as he reminisced about the good old days.  I threw the books in the trash the next day.  Even though I’ve always been more interested in tomorrow than yesterday, Into It Over It’s new album Standards makes me feel like a giddily confused 17-year-old.  And I like it.  RIYL: The Get Up Kids, teenage kicks, Ben Gibbard.


---
I reviewed the touring production of A Night With Janis Joplin.

---
I admired Tinashe’s career in advance of her show at the Granada.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I discussed the Conquerors with Steve Kraske on KCUR last week.

---
I take note of Gerald Spaits' Sax & Violins at Plastic Sax.

---
Herb Palmer, a longtime fixture on Kansas City’s music scene, has died.  Here’s a related article written by CJ Janovy in 2004.

---
Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest has died.

---
The gospel star Daryl Coley died earlier this month.  Here’s ”He’s Preparing Me”.

---
What I’m Feelin’, the first Anthony Hamilton studio album (aside from a Christmas project) in five years, makes me feel disappointed, depressed and angry.  Even the album’s best songs are tedious.  Hamilton has ceded the title of the best traditional male R&B vocalist of the new millennium.  Here’s ”Amen”.

---
Henry Threagill’s new works inspire me.  Old Locks and Irregular Verbs will be released on April 1.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: