Monday, August 17, 2015

Album Review: Troyka- Ornithophobia


My defenses were down when I happened upon Troyka last week.  The British trio combines the prog-rock wankery of King Crimson, the geeky jazz fusion of Billy Cobham and the fluid modern jazz of Flying Lotus.  I melted within minutes.  To quote an irritating meme: “shut up and take my money.”  The trailer for the new album Ornithophobia and the snippets streaming at Amazon reveal the source of my latest guilty pleasure. 


---
I reviewed Chris Brown’s concert at the Sprint Center.

---
Miguel's outing at the Midland theater last night is likely to be favorite concert of 2015. Here's my review.

---
I contributed a Local Listen segment about Lonnie McFadden to KCUR.

---
I laud Hmph and the Jorge Arana Trio at Plastic Sax.

---
I’ve never seen the Colombian star Carlos Vives perform.  His new live album indicates that I’m really missing out.  Here’s an exciting version of the irresistible “Como Le Gusta a Tu Cuerpo”.

---
Tokyo Adagio, a duet featuring Charlie Haden and Gonzalo Rubalcaba recorded in 2005, is predictably enchanting.

---
The Internet’s Ego Death sounds incredible.  Too bad Syd tha Kid can’t write a decent song.  Or am I wrong?  Here’s ”Girl”.  RIYL: Frank Ocean, headphones, Teena Marie. 

---
Pictures and Paintings, Charlie RIch’s last recorded statement, is one of my favorite albums.  Boz Scaggs’ A Fool to Care is a similarly sentimental work.  RIYL: James Booker, fond farewells, Curtis Mayfield.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

I'll be checking out Troyka.

And the latest Boz is simply wonderful. His preceding one is stellar too.

Cheers

bgo