Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Album Review: Keyshia Cole- Point of No Return


I like it when Keyshia Cole gets angry.  She's furious on Point of No Return, a dark song cycle in the tradition of Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear.  I admire the album so much that I've even talked myself into liking features by three of 2014's most annoying rappers.  Future's profane rap on the despairing "Love Letter" provides context.  Cole punks an unwitting 2 Chainz on "N.L.U.".  Juicy J helps Cole pull of the ridiculous "Rick James".  I won't argue if There Stands the Glass readers suggest that Point of No Return is a second-rate imitation of Beyoncé's self-titled 2013 release.  It's still my jam.


---
I reviewed a concert by Black Veil Brides, Falling in Reverse, Set It Off and Drama Club.

---
I reviewed a concert by Hunter Hayes.

---
I contributed a Local Listen segment on Gene Clark to KCUR.

---
The Architects are "Out of the Woods".

---
Molly McGuire has released a new album.

---
Kyle James made a video for "This Is Love".

---
A recent performance of "Heliophonie," a new composition by Dwight Frizzell & Thomas Aber, was documented for posterity.

---
Big Bank Hank of the Sugarhill Gang has died.

---
I'm mildly disappointed by Dave Hollister's Chicago Winds… The Saga Continues.  RIYL: R. Kelly, grown-and-sexy music, Johnny Gill.  Here's "Spend the Night".

---
Jeff Coffin & the Mu'tet's Side Up is RIYL: Lenny Pickett, jazz with humor, Steve Turre.

---
St. Vincent gets Sound Advice.

---
Frank Catalano's Love Supreme Collective is RIYL: John Coltrane, the right kind of tribute album, Pharaoh Sanders.

(Original image of D.I.A. by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: