Sunday, October 05, 2014

Album Review: Sturgill Simpson- Metamodern Sounds in Country Music


I'm skeptical when people who wouldn't know Ray Price from Luke Bryan rave about a country artist.  Having been raised on albums by Waylon, Willie and Kris, I take it personally when jokers subvert those sounds to amuse people who look down on the form.  That's why I avoided Sturgill Simpson's fashionable Metamodern Sounds in Country Music for months.  I'm finally willing to admit that it's really good.  With lyrics that could have been written by Jimmie Dale Gilmore and production modeled on Honky Tonk Heroes, the album sends me back to my smoke-filled childhood home.


---
I reviewed the Zombie Pub Crawl.

---
I participated in a discussion about Kansas City's jazz scene on KCUR's Central Standard last week.

---
D/Will and Stik Figa made a video for "Work".

---
Flying Lotus and Kendrick Lamar are at their best on "Never Catch Me".

---
Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood is my favorite jam band.  Juice is RIYL: Garage a Trois, outdoor festivals, Umphrey's McGee.

---
It really goes without saying, but Prince's messy new Art Official Age contains about 20 minutes of brilliance.  RIYL: Controversy, freaks, Sign o' the Times.

---
Yelawolf's "Till It's Gone" is one of my favorite songs of 2014.  RIYL: Lindsey Buckingham, classic rock, Tech N9ne.

---
Roni Size is back.  His new album Take Kontrol is RIYL: 1997, video game soundtracks, Orbital.

---
Jazz can be a chore.  It took four sessions for me to work my way through Joris Roelof's Aliens Deliberating.  RIYL: Eric Dolphy, nails on chalkboards, Ned Rothenberg.

---
Everclear's spoof of U2's partnership with Apple is perfect.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

Gary said...

One of my favorite albums of the year. I really want to go to his show at Knuckleheads.

Happy In Bag said...

Shooter Jennings will be backed up by his dad's old band at Knucks on Oct. 26.