Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Kairy Koshoeva and the Owen/Cox Dance Group- Polsky Theatre

I used to think about love, mortality and God as I listened to the Goldberg Variations.  Not anymore.  A concert at Polsky Theatre on Monday may have forever altered the associations I'll make when I hear Bach's famous work.  A performance by the Owen/Cox Dance Group accompanied Kairy Koshoeva as she played the variations in its entirety.  Jennifer Owen's creative choreography managed to make the composition seem like a natural modern dance soundtrack.  The sole flaw occurred at the conclusion of a few segments as Koshoeva's otherwise stellar playing was sullied by the necessity of monitoring the readiness of the dancers.  The free performance served as a preview of a June 8 concert at White Recital Hall.

I did not expect much of Scotty McCreery at the Uptown Theater on Saturday.  The kid impressed me.  Here's my review.

Strange Music continues to crank out videos.  Here are the moving pictures for Ces Cru's "When Worlds Collide".

I've long suggested that Mac Lethal could be a successful television or radio personality.  Here's proof.

Eccentric Soul: The Dynamic Label is the latest reissue from the Numero Group.

Coming to the Stiefel Theatre in Salina, Kansas: the Beach Boys, Cheap Trick, Joan Baez, Ian Anderson and Boz Scaggs.

Here's the latest dispatch from Earl Sweatshirt.

Kansas City Click: Freedy Johnston plays the Czar Bar on Tuesday.  I'm not sure if he's willing to play "Trying To Tell You I Don't Know" anymore.

DJ Abilities appears at the Czar Bar on Wednesday.  (R.I.P. Eyedea.)

Sam Baker performs at a house concert on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)


bigsteveno said...

Freedy Johnston actually opened the show with "Trying To Tell You I Don't Know." Great opener, and then "Bad Reputation" second. He let up a little after that and played a bunch of new song. I think he said he has a new album already recorded. The set also included "The Mortician's Daughter," "This Perfect World," "Don't Fall In Love With A Lonely Girl, and "On the Way Out." My first time in the Czar Bar, and I picked a perfect night to check it out.

Happy In Bag said...

Dang! Thanks for the report. I had tough choices to make that night. My selection was clearly inferior to yours.