Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Cecil Womack, 1947-2013



When I was footloose and fancy free, music played a significant role in facilitating my romantic life.  Their brilliant music wasn't the only reason I spent a lot of time listening to Michael Jackson and Prince.  But even geniuses can get played out.  The appeal of the Gap Band and Rick James diminished away from the dance floor.  And there's only so much Lionel Richie and Luther Vandross a guy can take.  I was on the prowl for new music that could set the mood even as it stimulated my brain.  Enter Womack and Womack.  Love Wars, Radio M.U.S.C. Man and Conscious were my extremely helpful jams.  Cecil Womack died February 1.  An obituary in The Telegraph offers further evidence that truth is stranger than fiction.  (Tip via BGO.)


---
Womack and Linda (Cooke) also cowrote one of the best songs of the 20th century. 


---
I reviewed Kid Rock's concert at the Sprint Center.

---
Reg Presley of the Troggs has died.

---
I discovered the Diablos Del Ritmo: Colombian Melting Pot compilation via There Stands the Glass reader Big Steve.  I hadn't even realized that my life had been incomplete until I heard Myrian Makenwa's essential "Amampondo" for the first time this week.

---
Lenny Kaye likes Rory Gallagher?  That's just one of the many surprises of his new "What's In My Bag" segment.

---
I'm constantly reminded of my limitations.

---
Sometimes I just have to let myself go.  I recently listened to every second of Trinidad James' Don't Be S.A.F.E.  And I enjoyed it for what it is.  The new remix of the project's big hit features the brain trust of T.J, T.I., 2 Chainz and Young Jeezy. 

---
Deerhoof makes me smile.

---
Kasey Anderson, a musician who's received positive attention at There Stands the Glass, is in a heap of trouble.

---
Merzbow continues to confuse me.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Have you seen Genesis P-Orridge lately?

---
Here's a video for Solas' "Lay Your Money Down."  RIYL: Flogging Molly, alcohol, Philadelphia.

---
I can't locate an EPK at YoutTube, so you'll have to watch the essential footage of Chick Corea talking about the latest Miles Davis official boot of 1969 recordings at the retail link.  Spotify has also made the album difficult to find.  Here you go.

---
Kansas City Click: Cam'ron appears at the Riot Room on Tuesday.

The Steepwater Band play Knuckleheads on Wednesday.

The Brick hosts Mike Dillon on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bigsteveno said...

I've been a bit underwhelmed by Colombian comps I've heard before, but I keep coming back to Diablos Del Ritmo. It really hits the spot.

Happy In Bag said...

Maybe that's why it hit me so hard, Steve.