Thursday, March 03, 2011

Review: The Water Tower Bucket Boys- Sole Kitchen























Video stream of the Water Tower Bucket Boys version of "Greasy Coat"

Never once have I fantasized about being a famous musician. The lovably ramshackle acoustic music of The Water Tower Bucket Boys, however, makes me want to grab a mandolin and jump on a train. Sole Kitchen (available now from CD Baby and at other outlets on April 26) is that ingratiating. The Portland-based band probably isn't any better than the Bad Livers, the Hackensaw Boys or Split Lip Rayfield, but I adore Sole Kitchen's songs about bread ("tastes just like my honey's bun!"), the quality of smoke in Berkeley and drinking so much whiskey that you "pass out on the hot, dusty ground." And anyone familiar with my loathing of rodents can imagine my delight with "Blackbird Pickin' at a Squirrel." Where's my knapsack?

---
Mercy, the new album by Max Justus, streams here.

---
I enthusiastically reviewed Kasey Anderson's Heart of a Dog in January. He recently recorded a Daytrotter session. It's really good.

---
My Middle of the Map festival band of the week is Paper Route.

---
Mac Lethal and Charlie Sheen: Separated at birth?

---
The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey recently worked with a few all-star horn players. This excites me.

---
Art Brut never fail to make me laugh. Among the songs on its forthcoming album Brilliant! Tragic! are "Clever Clever Jazz" and "Is Dog Eared."

---
Kansas City Click: Arturo Sandoval plays the Folly Theater on Friday.

Illphonics visit the Czar Bar on Saturday.

The People's Liberation Big Band return to the Record Bar on Sunday.

Glen David Andrews celebrates the advent of the holiday season Monday at the Blue Room.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: