Tuesday, March 02, 2010

John Jorgenson Quintet- Hungaria

















Border closed.

Django this. Django that. It's only March and I'm already becoming burned out on tribute concerts and albums commemorating the centennial anniversary of Django Reinhardt's birth. It takes something special, consequently, to get me excited. Istiqbal Gathering, one of two new self-released albums by Nashville cat John Jorgenson, is one such project. While I'll always associate Jorgenson with The Hellecasters, he's been playing gypsy jazz for a while. It pays off on the ambitious Istiqbal Gathering. Recorded with Orchestra Nashville and the Turtle Island Quartet, the innovative album explores fresh concepts for gypsy jazz guitar. It's both emotionally and intellectually rewarding. "Hungaria" is taken from One Stolen Night, a relatively straightforward Django-esque quintet recording. It's very nice, but the real magic happens with the orchestra.

---
Here's my review of a concert by cult artist Dave Frishberg.

---
What? I can't hear you. Sevendust and Drowning Pool were loud. Here's my review.

---
Joel Francis interviews Elena James of Hot Club of Cowtown.

---
T-Bone Wolk has died.

---
I get the story behind the new Kansas Blues & Jazz: Past, Present & Future documentary at Plastic Sax.

---
Kansas City Click: James McMurtry has a lot of great songs, but none are more popular in these parts than "Choctaw Bingo". He won't get out of Knuckleheads alive if he doesn't play it Tuesday.

I'm not going to lie. I'm looking forward to hearing Roger Daltrey belt out "The Real Me" one last more time Wednesday at the Sprint Center.

No comments: