Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Miriam Makeba, 1932-2008















Farewell.

I can't find the link, but I recently read about a prominent entertainer who had set funding aside for the making of a biopic with an as-yet undetermined subject. "That's crazy," I thought at the time. "Just pick a person already." If that celebrity read an obituary of Miriam Makeba this week, that speculation has surely ended. What an epic life "Mama Africa" lived! The high political, social and personal drama of Makeba's life spanned continents. She's heard here on a 1959 selection available on a typically excellent Rough Guide disc.

---
Cafe Tacuba disappointed me Saturday night. Here's my review.

---
Blip continues to wreck my life.

---
Kansas City Click: I continue to believe that "Dumbo Wins Again" is one of the best songs of 2008. Ghosty will play it tonight at the Czar Bar.

2 comments:

jonder said...

I turned my 12 year old son on to Blip, thanks to your recommendation. (I won't suggest you listen to his station unless you REALLY like System of a Down.)

Happy In Bag said...

Cool, Jon. I have nothing against S.O.A.D., but his Blip "friends" might soon have the boy grooving on Ornette, Zappa and such in no time.