Saturday, May 18, 2019

Friday on My Mind


A friend was dumbfounded when I admitted that I had yet to listen to the new release by one of his favorite bands when we met on Friday, May 17.  He couldn’t get his head around the fact that the National’s I Am Easy to Find ranked twelfth in my ranking of the day’s offerings.  I didn’t mean to give offense.  As an ecumenical music obsessive, I’m invariably intrigued by dozens of the hundreds of albums that are issued every week.  Back when I made minimum wage, I could only afford to buy a single album a week.  The streaming era means that every Friday is a bargain-priced holiday.  Ranked by my level of initial interest, a listing of 47 albums released on May 17 follows.  Bitter disappointments and wondrous surprises are always part of the fun.  My assessment will obviously change as I listen to each release.  I’m also sure to discover several additional titles that are currently under my radar.  It’s a good thing my ears rarely tire.

My Preliminary Ranking of Albums Released on May 17, 2019
1. Tyler, The Creator- Igor
2. Brad Mehldau- Finding Gabriel
3. Linda Oh- Adventurine
4. Injury Reserve- Injury Reserve
5. Dave Douglas- Devotion
6. DJ Khaled- Father of Asahd
7. Theo Croker- Star People Nation
8. Hot Suede- Hot Suede
9. Seba Kaapstad- Thina
10. John Zorn- The Hierophant

11. Christone “Kingfish” Ingram- Kingfish
12. The National- I Am Easy to Find
13. Wu-Tang Clan- Of Mics and Men
14. Nil Ciuró- Inwards
15. Jimmy Webb- SlipCover
16. Yolanda Kondonassis- American Rapture
17. Megan Thee Stallion- Fever
18. Jerusalem Quartet- The Yiddish Cabaret
19. Duckwrth- The Falling Man
20. Slowthai- Nothing Great About Britain

21. Rahsaan Patterson- Heroes & Gods
22. Michael Fabiano- Verdi & Donizetti: Opera Arias
23. Jimmie Vaughan- Baby, Please Come Home
24. Josephine Wiggs- We Fall
25. Tanika Charles- The Gumption
26. Turkuaz- Afterlife Vol. 1
27. Ozark Mountain Daredevils- Heaven 20/20
28. Albrecht Mayer- Longing for Paradise
29. Institute- Readjusting the Locks
30. Umphrey’s McGee- Anchor Drop Redux

31. Joanne Shaw Taylor- Reckless Heart
32. Various artists- Sad About the Times
33. Carly Rae Jepsen- Dedicated
34. Larry Fuller- Overjoyed
35. Olden Yolk- Living Theatre
36. The New York Philharmonic- Soloists of the New York Philharmonic
37. Aseethe- Throws
38. Wreckless Eric- Transience
39. Mary Stallings- Songs Were Made to Sing
40. Steel Pulse- Mass Manipulation

41. Martin Outram- Viola Fantasia
42. Rammstein- Rammstein
43. Sam Cohen- The Future Is Still Ringing In My Ears
44. Preston Lovinggood- Consequences
45. Jonathan Dove- The Orchestral Music of Jonathan Dove
46. The Head and the Heart- Living Mirage
47. The Cash Box Kings- Hail to the Kings!

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: